Get to know our principals.
Margaret MulCahy - Principal
Hometown: North Attleboro, MA
Current: Schenectady, NY
- How would your friends describe you?
I am always looking at situations from multiple perspectives.
- If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?
I don’t think I would change anything specifically; I think my goal is just to continuously learn and grow. Perhaps, I would like to have a library full of architecture books and articles on every related topic.
- Which historic figure would you most like to meet? Why?
Cleopatra - she spent time in both ancient Rome and Egypt. I think she would have some great stories and insights.
- What’s your favorite book?
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley – it is a classic for a reason. Something about the obsession that happens in the throes of creation and ambition, and how these things also come with responsibility and potential consequences are just perfect horror!
- Do you have any pets? If so, how old are they? What are their names?
Yes - 3 cats, all strays. Pip (13), Marmalade and Omen (3).
- When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I always knew I wanted to pursue something creative. I loved making things from a young age. My first encounter with architectural drawings was when my dad, a residential real estate broker, was working with a developer to sell new construction properties. I was able to see the drawn plans grow and develop into finished homes. I was completely enthralled by this process.
- After high school, did your career path diverged from your initial plans?
Not at all! When I was applying to colleges, I chose a school based on the quickest path I saw to getting my architectural license. When I graduated, I pursued the required professional experience and immediately began studying for the architect licensing exams.
- Who inspires you?
An architect I look up to is Angela Mazzi. She is a fellow female healthcare architect in leadership. I discovered her through her podcast and have since read her book – Career Crisis.
- What keeps you up at night?
The question I am always want to solve is – ‘How can architecture contribute to the healing
- What’s your idea of a perfect day?
Doing or experiencing something creative and eating some great vegan food!